335 views•Dec 30, 2020220ShareSaveEnduring Voices & Endangered Languages 4.18K subscribers Research and videography by K. David Harrison, as a member of the jury at the Khoomei Festival 1998 in Kyzyl, Republic of Tuva. Notable performers included: Kongar-ool Ondar, Kaigal-ool Khovalyg, David Shomfai Kara (Hungary), and artists from USA and Japan. 1020579 02
Bela Fleck and the Flecktones with Ondar Kongar-ol
79,976 views•Dec 19, 2011 54117ShareSaveshortiebighead 1.43K subscribers Posterity Productions presentshttps://www.facebook.com/PosterityPro… Bela Fleck and the Flecktoneshttp://www.flecktones.com/ with Ondar Kongar-ol 2-10-99 Lyric Opera House Baltimore, Maryland
TEDxCaltech – Steve Collins, Lyle Mays, Kongar-Ol Ondar – Tuva or Bust!
39,196 views•Mar 11, 2011 3614ShareSaveTEDx Talks 25.2M subscribers A vignette from “Tuva or Bust!” by Ralph Leighton Richard Feynman – Steve Collins Tuvan throat singer – Kongar-Ol Ondar Directed by Shirley Marneus Music by Kongar-Ol Ondar and Lyle Mays Tuvan stamps provided by Alan Leighton Presentation assistance by Ian Leighton Feynman portrait by Sylvia Posner Ladakhi monk costume sewn by Gwyneth Feynman, courtesy of Michelle Feynman About TEDx, x = independently organized event: In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.) On January 14, 2011, Caltech hosted TEDxCaltech, an exciting one-day event to honor Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate, Caltech physics professor, iconoclast, visionary, and all-around “curious character.” Visit TEDxCaltech.com for more details.
Today on the highest note🎶🎵is Kongar-ool Ondar, 1992
|Kongar-ol Ondar & Paul Pena|
October 2 2005 Update: it is with heavy hearts that we inform you that Paul Pena passed away today.
American throatsinger and bluesman Paul Pena had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer (and was subsequently rediagnosed with pancreatitis – see www.paulpena.com for some more detail).
In 1995 Paul travelled to Kyzyl to participate in the Khoomei symposium and placed first in the kargyraa category. This journey was the focus of the documentary “Genghis Blues”. Paul is well known to Friends of Tuva as “Cher Shimjer” (Earthquake), one half of the band Genghis Blues (with Kongar-ol Ondar), and he is also known in the blues world and in the rock world.
Paul had been living with a pancreatic illness for several years. Originally thought to be cancer, it now looks more like pancreatitis. The generous contributions of people like you made it possible for Paul to receive round the clock care in his apartment in San Francisco.
Official Web Sites
- The official Genghis Blues website has updated news on events, screenings, awards, and more.
- The official Paul Pena website is up and has the latest news on Paul.
- The lyrics to the Genghis Blues CD are available online.
- Once Upon a Time, by Paul Pena, is the tale of his journey through the world of throat singing.
Articles and Reviews
Here’s a list of references to reviews about the movie, articles about Paul Pena and Roko Belic and Adrian Belic, and related items online. It’s really great to see a few Friends of Tuva chase after a dream and actually realize it.
- The Genghis Blues Brothers made it to the Oscars in 2000!
- Salon.com presents The Odyssey of ‘Genghis Blues’. The tale behind the Oscar-nominated documentary is as extraordinary as the Tuvan throat-singers it celebrates.
- Adobe presents an interesting technical interview with the Belic brothers.
- Adrian Belic tells students about making Genghis Blues.
- The LA Times presents Brothers Trace the Art of Throat Singing in ‘Genghis Blues’.
- Another LA Times article, this one titled Making a Journey in Search of Harmony.
- Paul Pena sets out on the road to recovery.
- Giant Robot carries Paul Pena’s story.
- “Genghis Blues” makes the Top Stories page at Hollywood.com.
- “Genghis Blues” is reviewed by the McGill Tribune in Montreal.
- “Genghis Blues” is reviewed by the Daily Texan in Austin.
- Canoe.ca gives “Genghis Blues” a good review.
Genghis Blues is now available (as of December, 2000) on videocassette and DVD.
Chevy Chase Show 1993-10-01 Tuvan Throat Singing
14 877 vues•19 déc. 2013 165 3 Partager Enregistrerados4k 6,24 k abonnés Tuvan throat singing segment frrom the October 1, 1993 episode of the Chevy Chase Show featuring Kongar ol Ondar (RIP) and Bady Dhorzhu Ondar. This is a repaired version of another video found on Youtube that is currently broken.
Tyvam (My Tuva) – Kongar-ol Ondar, Evgeny Saryglar & Alash Ensemble
Published on Feb 15, 2015
Kongar-ool Ondar, Kaigal-ool Khovalyg and Anatoli Kuular – Ching Soortukchulerining Yrysy
Published on Jul 23, 2009
Master Tuvan Throat Singer Kongar-ol Ondar (Коңгар-оол Ондар) Unplugged in Marin
Published on Jan 25, 2011